Wednesday, March 7, 2018

This is Why Everyone Thinks You're an Arabian


I guess it was only last week that we had another bout of exciting "weather". Seems like longer! We had a quicky rain in the valley, snow in the mountains kinda thing, but only for the day.

Snow in the Rincons. Always pretty.


The next day I took Truby out to play. We went for a walk down the little trail. And then I let her roll in the damp sand. 

She is SO cute!


She didn't seem inclined to play on her own, but I knew she had some tense energy she needed to get out. So I let her loose in a paddock she's never been in. 

Where's this???

And then. Then a truck drove down the neighbors driveway, which borders the new turnout area we were in. The truck, pulling a small trailer, was crawling along at about 2 miles an hour. Apparently this was NOT OKAY, and Truby went on a tear. Volume on if you want to hear her clear out every tiny bit of air from her lungs!





People (especially out here) tend to think Truby is an Arabian, and I usually get asked "Full or half Arab?" by people meeting her for the first time, including her farrier, that breeds (very nice) Arabs. They're always surprised when I tell them she's actually an American Paint Horse. 

Recently she's been acting a little Arab-y! And yesterday, I not only got husband to go to the barn with me, but to go for a walk on the backyard trail. When we got to the end, where it meets up with another horse property, Truby's secret friend came running over. He doesn't usually run up, and Truby immediately flipped her tail straight up in the air and started to run/rear/something. I scolded her and she settled down right away, which was impressive and surprising! 

What do you see, Truby?



 Secret Friend <3 

She's been feeling a little sassy, but not out of control. I was really surprised she went from full Freak Out Mode to Alert but Calm almost instantly. I was glad, because husband was with us, and he wouldn't be impressed by crazy antics. He thinks horses are "unpredictable and dangerous". And while I definitely can't argue with that, I don't like to prove him right too often! We also got a new neighbor, a beautiful Arabian gelding named Cinco. Cinco is a *real* Arab, and much fancier than Truby could ever look! 


Hiiiiii! I'm Cinco!






Other than that, Truby's been a good little Truby. Her incredible lameness seems almost gone, you may notice from the video she's moving pretty good! I'm shocked, because two months ago I was trying to come to terms with the fact that Truby was going to be a crippled horse before she turned 18. She's made a remarkable recovery and is back to 95% her previous soundness and way of going. I'm shocked! I'm thrilled! I'm going to...ride my horse???



 Afternoon naptime


 She's such a princess



Even found some baby green grass out on the trail.


I guess winter is over. It's warm/almost hot during the day, although still a bit chilly at night. Today we visited the Tucson Botanical Gardens, which were fabulous, much better than I was expecting, and I'm having to recover from being out in the sun for about 2 hours. I don't do Tucson summer sun. It's waaaaay too strong! I actually get sun hangovers. But don't worry, more about that as summer really kicks in. Tuby's winter coat is almost completely shed out, although I still have more to go. We're so happy in our new home! I'm looking forward to some upcoming adventures, and just enjoying desert life with this cute little gray horse.


Enjoying the sun and feeling zen
With snacks, of course


1 comment:

  1. My TB Carlos had arab moments too. Sometimes they just get that wild hair.

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...