Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Let's Never Go Outside Again




This past week has been dull. I discovered I'm allergic to...something...and for the first time I'm having to deal with allergies. Figuring out which medicines help and which ones don't is not good times. Unfortunately, while I found something that takes care of most things (the sore, itchy throat being THE WORST!) it makes me really dopey. I think I'm acting pretty normal, maybe a little dizzy here and there, but if I talk to someone, it quickly becomes obviously my brain isn't working right.


Doesn't care if I'm dumb as long as she gets snacks

This was really good times to discover at work, because I sounded like an absolute idiot! Luckily my actual grooming skills didn't suffer, just my ability to talk to people. Also lucky, most people were totally empathetic when I apologized for being super ditzy and told them I was dealing with allergies and allergy medications for the first time. I've been grooming for over 16 years, and it's astounding that I've lost my easy chatter and typical client interactions. I always thought I could say all that in my sleep. Guess not!







Truby's enjoyed a week off, just living life and getting snuggles. She's a horse that's always happy just to hang out, and not one that needs to think or be exercised all the time. The new mare, Annie, is finally out with her and Cinco, and they're getting along without any issues.

It's really nice to have such an easy going horse! I'm a bit spoiled, I think. Husband and I are heading north to the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert tomorrow. I'm really excited about it. I went there many years ago for a family Christmas vacation, but I must have been 12 or so. I can't wait to visit as an adult in the spring! We'll be staying near the Painted Desert one night, then a couple nights at the Grand Canyon, right in the park! It's going to be awesome!




Today I was out to visit Truby one last time before we left. She got her tail washed and conditioned, and her udders and hocks washed. Then a nice little walk out on the Backyard Trail. I gave her a couple hugs and told her to be good. I drove through the driveway gate and noticed something in the road. I was pretty sure it was a snake. It's starting to be Snake Season, and I've been putting extra effort into looking for them when I'm walking around. But I haven't actually expected to SEE any.

Other than seeing a rattlesnake way outside of town several years ago when I first interviewed for the job that moved us out here, I haven't seen any snakes. Well, one non-venomous night snake slithered past our apartment. But that was okay. I just closed the door, and went to bed. Never saw it again.



Nope. Nope. Nope.

So OF COURSE, I pulled over, got out, and went to investigate. Showing more sense than usual, I didn't get too close. It certainly was a snake, and I believe it's a diamondback rattler. Yikes! I watched it slither away, up towards the neighbors drive.

Then I got in my car, drove home, and I never plan to leave the apartment again. I hope husband lets Truby move in!


Wut?


1 comment:

  1. ugh sorry! Allergies are a major pain (I'm basically allergic to everything but horses) I hope you find the right combo of meds soon

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...