Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Saving Daylight, Desert Style

Sunset a few months ago, west side of Tucson

Tucson is kinda awesome in that we don't do Daylight Savings. At all. No clock changes, no trying to remember if it's spring ahead or fall forward, or trip sideways. The only thing about this time of year is that my family is now three hours ahead instead of two, and that makes them seem so much farther away. 

I stopped by the barn after work on Sunday unsure of what I wanted to do. It was a lovely sunny afternoon, not too hot. I was tired, the atmosphere quiet and sleepy. I plan to start riding Truby, but it just didn't feel like the thing to do. Instead, I turned her out in the big turnout area. It's all pretty and green, and Truby's been out there only once. 

Truby approves

Turns out the pretty green plant life is not horse food, or at least, no one wants to eat it. I'm not sure what it is, but none of the horses bother with it. There is a blade of actual grass here and there, providing the ideal turnout. Truby got to nibble some fresh green grass, but had to keep moving to find it. While she rambled around munching, I rambled around looking at stuff. It was a very pleasant way to spend time with Truby without having to SPEND TIME WITH TRUBY. We both enjoyed exploring together, yet apart. 


This reminds me of Carroll County, MD, where I'm from.
Just pretend that scrubby third growth hardwood and not mesquite.



 Mesquite trees are pretty cool though! 
Or is this an Ironwood tree? I can't tell.


There was a whole flock of bluebirds! They were Super Blue
but hard to photograph


Truby being pretty



 I was finally rewarded with the perfect moment.


Desert evenings are amazing 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...