Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Some More Wildlife



We had quite an exciting week, weatherwise! Monsoon storms all over the place, although not really right where I live. Sunday I woke to an absolute downpour Sunday morning, and it rained most of the day. It was magical. It's been cooler (90s) but grossly humid. This week we get back into the 100s, with lower humidity, but still high for this area. 

There were magnificent clouds and skies all week. But the weather seemed to cause a large increase in anxiousness and stress, both in myself, other people, and the dogs I groomed. This week everyone is calmer. 





My view from the backdoor of my job. 

Since it was randomly storming all week, I took of Truby's fly sheet. Didn't want her to get soggy and moldy under it! Plus the flies weren't as pesky. I took the time to clean it and hang it up to dry and air out a bit. Unfortunately I waited a day or two too late to put it back on. Poor Princess Pony got all bitten up! She was itchy, but didn't seem to be painful. Looks ouchy. Neither one of us seems to handle Tucson fly bites well - we both tend to overreact. 


HELLO HIVES
omg



I did go back and look for her water tub tarantulas. They were both gone, so I'm gonna assume they were both alive and the one wasn't a shed skin. One the day I took the first two pictures in this post, I happened to notice something moving across the driveway when I was leaving. I stopped my car, got out, and sure enough, there was a tarantula walking across the driveway. I assume it was a male out lookin' for love. I hope he found it, and didn't get eaten after.  


They seems MUCH bigger when they're walking





I haven't been riding much at all. Not that we were hardcore athletes before or anything, but it's dwindled to nothin'. It's just so HOT. And recently, HOT and HUMID and GROSS. Basically Florida weather, except I'm no longer used to it. I've been trying hard to get more consistent with my own exercise. I've actually been doing better than usual! So I decided I really needed to get more regular with Truby as well. No reason we can't at least walk for 15 minutes, right?




Yesterday I got on with the plan to walk a lap or two in the ring, and then go on the Backyard Trail. Ease into life with just some little walks. About 2 seconds after I got on, I heard coyotes everywhere. These guys in the video were yipping and crying to the north, and there was howling from the east, and even a yip or two from the south. They were WOUND UP. By the time I decided to take a video, they were starting to settle down, but we stayed in the arena anyway. Just in case. 

Afterward I got to talking about desert wildlife with the guy that takes care of the horses (Let's call him A). A is from Mexico, and his English is pretty good, but he's still learning. My Spanish is minimal, but I know a few words. He was telling me about Bobcats, apparently he's seen them at the barn, in the early mornings. Walking the washes or snoozing in trees. New goal: go to the barn super early at least once a week and look for Bobcats! He was also telling me of seeing a momma bobcat and her kits a few years ago. He couldn't think of the word for baby bobcats, so he just called them "leetle meows". It was 100% the cutest thing I've ever heard! I think I need to start calling kittens of all kinds leetle meows! 

A also told me about hiking in Mexico and coming upon a lion mountain that was sunning on some rocks. Can you imagine? We do have mountain lions in Tucson, but I'm not sure if they'd be near enough that Truby and I might come across them. It would be so cool, but also terrifying, I imagine! 



Ready to find wildcats 

And cookies.





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Both of us seem really sensitive to Arizona flies, and they are very itchy!

      Delete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...