Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Oh My God, there's TWO

This week has been all about waiting. Waiting for storms. We've had a ton of monsoon activity in the area, but all of it has missed where I live. Storms in Tucson can be extremely localized, and the 'it's raining on one side of the street but not the other' is common. I've been trying to learn more about monsoon science, and it usually starts pinging my BS meter. Weather here is so WEIRD.


These two storm clouds went northwest. Losers.



No love from this, although it was pretty










Today it finally rained where I am! We had some thunder, and a gentle rain. No real storm or downpour, but I'll take it! We have some moisture coming up from Mexico, and apparently "if the sun is out and it gets hot, we'll get monsoon storms. If it stays overcast, we'll get showers." Okay...guess the sun didn't heat things up enough. The clouds were at least beautiful and absolutely stunning and my phone didn't really capture just how amazing desert clouds get. 

I stopped by to visit Truby after work yesterday, just in case I got monsooned at home. It was hot and the ponies were sleepy. I thought about giving her a good grooming, but there were so many flies I didn't want to take off her fly sheet. I noticed her water tub was low, and I decided to pull it out and scrub it before filling it up. As one does. It was a little heavier than I thought, so I had to rock and slide it out of the corner of her stall. I got it out, glanced into the corner...

NOPE



NOPE


NOPE


Yup. that's a tarantula. I got the heebie jeebies and the twitchies and the omg omg omgs. I try to be tough, but I'm NOT a creepy crawly girl, especially when I'm not expecting it. My father is an entomologist, so I was raised with bugs and respect them, but some of them are still just NOPE. 

So I took some pictures, like I do, and then continued to slide the water tub out. Then I thought "hmmm, better make sure there's nothing on the sides of the tub!" Nothing on the sides...but then I saw...

Still nope

Yeah, there's TWO


I was pretty sure tarantulas are not threatening to people or Trubys, so after dumping and scrubbing out the water tub, I carefully put it back. They might be alarming, but they have just as much right to be there as anyone. Probably more, actually. I did check and Google says Arizona Blonde Tarantulas are pretty okay. My dad wondered if the second one is a shedding, so I guess I'll go check that out tomorrow. It is mating season though, so I won't try too hard to figure out if we're a real tarantula or shed skin. 

Truby cared not at all


These are the first tarantulas I've seen 'in the wild'. No lie, I'm okay with them being the last tarantulas I see in the wild! I have yet to see a rattlesnake or scorpions. I'm okay with that too.


Auri is doing well and more adorable by the day!
Not normally cross eyed :P 








1 comment:

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...