Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Truby Tuesday




This is what 5:20 AM looks like



Today seemed like a good day to get up super early. I didn't get to the barn (or out of the house) quite as early as I'd have liked, but not bad! The horses had already been fed and turned out when I arrived, so I must have just missed the barn staff. I had the place to myself.



Not quite to myself


I've been at many different barns over the years. I've been startled by mice, raccoons, foxes, and of course, barn cats slinking out of stalls or scurrying down the aisle. But this is definitely the first time I've encountered a tarantula causally stroll out of a stall and down the aisle. They're really tall when they're walking. 




NOPED but took pics anyway



I'm still ever hopeful for a bobcat sighting, but so far, nothing. It's still really nice to spend early mornings at a barn, so I don't mind too much. Truby and Cinco were frolicking a bit when I drove up. Well, Cinco was frolicking, Truby was just looking for something to munch on. But it was nice to see two happy, playful horses when I pulled up.

She met me at the gate, and I brushed her, tacked her up, and hopped on by 6:20 AM. Just as the sun was making it over the mesquite trees.



ahhhhhhhhhh
what a beautiful morning



by 6:30 the sun has cleared the trees in our little valley
It's gonna be a hot one



Facing west. We've gotten some great monsoons recently, and 
everything is so green!



Since Truby and I are out of shape, I'm starting us off with 15 minutes or so of just walking. Nice, steady walking. A lap or two each walk of trot, but mostly we're walking a few times a week. Even at 6 am, it was 80 degrees with humidity almost reaching 60%. What is this???? Our humidity is usually in the low teens/single digits. Ah, monsoon season. It's weird. 


It's a nice way to spend a morning, and hopefully soon we'll be able to get back to doing something more interesting than a short arena ride. Maybe head over to the Loop trail next week. Since we've been taking a riding break, I wanted to make sure Truby wasn't going to throw a tantrum or buck me off - while in the safety of the arena! I needn't have worried. There was some mare glares, and nice giraffing OMG I CAN'T during the trot lap, but no drama. Truby's usually a pretty good egg like that. 


Grass!


After our little ride, Tru got a nice little curry with a soft jelly curry/scrubby. She loves it! Best $2 ever spent. I tossed her fly sheet back on, and we strolled around looking for bobcats in the trees. Didn't find any, but Truby found a little patch of grass. A rarity, so I let her nom for a few minutes. Then tossed her out to be wild and free!




Wild and free = eating breakfast




No comments:

Post a Comment

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...