Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Truby and Cinco's Best Afternoon EVAR

Monsoon season came to an end Sunday. The remnants of Hurricane Rosa gave us our last little bit of rain for the season. While Tucson missed out on most of the fun, we did get a few overcast days and light showers. It was a nice way to end the season, especially if you like things to be balanced and tidy (which I do, very much!) since monsoon season started off the the leftovers of Hurricane Bud.

The horses stay in their stalls on Sundays, and they stayed in again on Monday because the forecast was calling for rain, thunderstorms, sharknados, flooding, and rains of frogs. All that stayed much farther west (booo), and we just got a bit of light rain. I made a beeline for the barn as soon as work was over so I could let Truby and Cinco out to play.



Being a little wild, having some fun


I have permission from Cinco's owner to turn him out whenever I'm there, and Cinco's owner has my permission to turn Truby out, which is perfect. Both of them really enjoy their turnout time, and Tucson people tend to be a bit unconcerned with turnout. It's a desert thing, I guess. But we want our ponies out. Truby and Cinco are perfect turnout buddies. They get along, are respectful of each other, Cinco encourages Truby to move, but Truby doesn't wind him up. And neither one is attached or buddy sour. You can pull one out of the "pasture" and the other doesn't care. It's wonderful. 

When I first put them out, they moseyed around a bit, then Cinco decided it was time to stretch his legs and gallop around. Truby didn't join him at first, but she didn't mind him running around, even when he ran right up behind her. She seemed calm and content, and recognized her friend was just having fun. It didn't bother her at all. 

Of course, after he'd been playing for awhile, Truby became less indulgent. She decided he'd had enough time to be crazy, and it was time to Mind His Manners. Cinco is very respectful of other horses, but especially mares, so a couple mare glares and a kick or two, and he made sure his frolicking stayed away from Truby.


#mareglare


They did run around together quite a bit though. It's so good to have them out together. Cinco will gallop just for fun, but Truby would rather watch Netflix and eat chips, if she could. When they're out together he can usually entice her for a bit of playtime though, and she enjoys it, once she gets going. 






After they settled down, I grabbed the Hay Play, and stuffed some hay in it. It's been a long time since I used it, in fact, I just pulled it out of under some mesquite trees and cleaned it out the day before. So it was a bit new and exciting. Truby had some fun, while Cinco watched enviously. I'm not sure if he's gotten to try it out or not, but he LOVED it! But he had to wait his turn, poor baby horse.




They took turns with the Hay Play. When one played with it, the other moseyed around the turnout area, browsing on weeds and munching on mesquite leaves. Then they'd switch. After awhile, both of them abandoned the Hay Play and just wandered around, stretching their legs, enjoying the day, and being horses. 




I pulled up a chair and ate my lunch. At this point, it was almost 5 o'clock, which more dinner time than lunch time, but I hadn't gotten a chance to eat during the day. It was really nice. Just overcast enough to be pleasant, a good breeze, and nice scenery. Since my lunch was just leftover hummus, baby carrots, and breadsticks, I ended up sharing the carrots with the ponies. Of course.



My pretty princess


After lunch, I did a little barnwork. Tidying Truby's stall, getting her pysillium dosed out and stuffing her net with hay. I saw one of our regular coyotes. I love her. She's beautiful, alert, and whenever she sees me she gets a look like "I do not have time to deal with this". I'm obviously an inconvenience to her, and it amuses me. Someday I'll get a really nice picture of her.









After annoying the coyote, I checked in on the horses. Just to see what they were up to. Oh, nothing. Just being ADORABLE.







They were enjoying a good grooming session. At one point, they switched sides, Cinco closer to me and Truby on his other side. But apparently that was weird because about a minute later they switched back. Seriously, if these two get any cuter they're just going to turn into cotton candy or something. 


Frands


And that's basically Truby and Cinco's best afternoon out. They had so much fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them! A perfect way to spend an afternoon. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...