Thursday, February 21, 2019

#unicorn

So last month our awesome equine massage person contacted me to see if I wanted to book an appointment for Truby, since she was getting quite busy and wanted to be sure Tru got in when I wanted.







I had been thinking mid-February, but I knew that her husband had been furloughed, and hell yes we support our friends! So I made our appointment a little earlier than I intended. And it was a really good thing I did, because Truby was SO SORE! Omg, I felt terrible! I had no idea. Instead of doing the massage in her stall, I held her in the aisle. (The outside run was really mucky, and I didn't want Jena to have to slog through it if Truby wandered out there.)

Even though Jena is really gentle in her approach to massage, Truby was trying to get away from her. Nothing in particular was especially bothering her, she was just sore all over. Jena told me she thought it was just soreness from us riding more, and nothing more than the soreness we get when we ramp up our exercise programs. Which made me feel a little better as I watched Truby trying to walk away, and sometimes stretch her head out looking for something to bite. She's not really a biter, but for whatever reason, she really seemed to think biting something would make it better.



I'ma bite stuff!
(Not that actual day, we don't massage in tack, obvs)



We finally made it down to my tack cabinet, which was open. Truby immediately decided that biting the cantle OF MY SADDLE would be the perfect thing to bite. Naughty pony! Fortunately, I stopped her before she did. Instead, she played with her old, tatty leg wraps. That's fine, bite those.

This led to a conversation about dressage saddles. Jena has only ridden western, but had the opportunity to ride a client's horse. Having never ridden in one, she was a little worried. We talked about saddles, and I assured her that dressage saddles were awesome. Super comfy, and would help her stay in the saddle. I offered to let her try mine, and we fixed a date the next week. Truby finally started to loosen up, and allowed Jena to go back to some of the really sore spots she resisted earlier. But it would be pretty mean to make her go for a ride!

Instead, we gave her cookies, and turned her out to doze in the sun while we chatted. She was happy to get some extra love and cuddles from Jena. At least she doesn't hold a grudge!


Sun sponge



Feeling better and full of forgiveness 



So, of course, the night before our pony play date the temperatures plummeted. We decided to go for it anyway, and Jena brought along hot drinks to get us through the morning. It was so cold I pulled out my fleece lined breeches and heavy socks! It was also super windy. Always a good combination for nice, calm horses, right?!



Snow in the Rincons




I suggested we turn Truby and Cinco out, and let them run around if they needed. Cinco took off galloping, but Truby couldn't be bothered. Next, I offered to show Jena the backyard trail, and take Truby to let her stretch and warm up her muscles a bit. Truby remained suspiciously calm, but I wanted to give her every chance to spook or be silly. So we took off her blankie and let her roll in the arena. She STILL wasn't acting tense or spooky, so we brushed her off and tacked her up.



You can just barely see the snow in the Catalinas 



I decided to get on first, so if she pulled a sudden panic like she did before, it would be me dealing with it, and not Jena. But no, she was good as gold. We just walked a few big circles each way and checked her brakes, all good! Jena surprised me by telling me she'd never seen me ride. We boarded at the same barn and spent time together when she owned Cherry and we both boarded at our old barn. Huh. She told me that Truby and I looked made for each other, which always makes me feel so happy and a little giddy.

Truby certainly seemed like the weather wasn't going to bother her, so Jena got on. I decided to start off by walking with them, holding lightly to Truby's sidepull. I told Jena that it was so she didn't have to worry about steering or anything, and could just enjoy the ride and get used to the new saddle. But it may have been that I still didn't quite trust her not to spook.


And she's on!



After a bit though, I let go and just walked beside them. Truby is wonderful for pony rides, because she'll just follow me and do whatever I do. But she does tend to follow me if I leave, and I didn't want Jena to have to have to make her leave me and go around the arena. Besides, it was nice to walk along and chat, and give her little tips on how to ride a Truby.

There were a few times when the wind blew especially strong, and rattled the trees, that I saw Truby raise her head and widened her eyes. She gave me a look, 'I'm gonna panic! That's scary...can I scoot??' but she let it pass, and regained her calm. I was SO proud of her. It was a very spooky morning, and even the couple times she thought she might spook, she held it together. Brave Truby!

By the way, she LOVED the saddle! She raved about how comfortable it was, and how surprised she was about how secure she felt. She loved the knee rolls and how it helped stabilize her legs. She couldn't get over how much more comfy it was than her western saddle.


Truby makes people break out in Jazz Hands!!!




After walking for awhile, she and Truby stood together, enjoying the sun, and the feel of each other. This is one of our favorite activities, and it made me happy to see my friend enjoying it as well. And when she was ready, Jena hopped off and we showered Truby in hugs.

This was the first time Jena had gotten back on a horse since she broke her back in several places 6 months ago. I was so honored to be able to give her a perfect first ride back. Truby seemed to know to be extra careful, and I was so proud of her. Jena said she always felt calm and safe with Truby, which allowed her to enjoy her ride and not worry about 'what ifs'. It was an incredible gift to be able to give my friend. Having had a couple really bad falls, I know how important it is to start back on a horse you feel safe on and can trust. Unfortunately, most of them time I didn't start back with a horse like that, or get to stay with a horse like that until I had gotten my nerve back. So to be able to do that for someone else just felt amazing.



Hello! I'm a unicorn!



Jena's daughter is the one who decided, years ago, that Truby is a unicorn, you just can't see her horn most of the time. While we couldn't *quite* see her horn that day, we knew it was there.


you can almost see it

1 comment:

  1. Ah I'm glad Truby gave your friend a great first ride back from her injury! <3 worth her weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...