Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Grand Theft: Doggo

Doggo

Last week was perfect Thanksgiving weather. And by that, I mean the typical weather I grew up with! Gloomy. Bleak. Chilly, but not excitingly cold. Overcast. Dark.


Dark and cloudy
A Tucson Rarity!


I loved it! To me, that's how it should be for Thanksgiving. Dark, bleak, and cloudy. Good weather for soups with crusty bread, snuggly sweaters, and hugging shaggy ponies.

Wednesday, M and I decided to ride the Loop before the rain blew in. The barn dogs were hanging around, and we tried to keep an eye on them, so they didn't get loose. Buuuut...we got distraced by the neighbor dragging their trashcan down their pea gravel driveway, and Juno ran out with us.



I made a half hearted attempt to catch her - I was still on foot, but M usually mounts at the barn. Juno likes to play Catch-Me-If-You-Can games, so when I failed to grab her the first time, I gave up. I knew I wasn't getting a second chance!

Since Barn Owner and I has gone on the Loop with Juno before, I knew she'd stay with us. I thought about texting her just to let her know we had Jun with us, but I rarely have phone service, so I didn't bother.

We had a great ride, both ponies were a little tense, but we rode through it just fine. A bit of a sticky point when the neighbor just-out-of-sight-but-not-quite was unloading their car. Lots of children squealing, small yappy dog yapping, doors slamming, and stuff being moved around. The horses could juuuust see the commotion through the mesquite, and they certainly could hear it!

Truby thought this was a good time to wig out. But I stayed calm, talked to her, and asked M circle back and get right in front of us.

It worked great!



Once we got past that, it was a pretty chill ride. Juno stayed (mostly) with us, and was good practice for the ponies. Jun's not the best with horses, she happy, and playful, but annoying. Still, everyone got along...even when she ran right behind Cinco (seriously, she had his tail drape over her for a second) and then darted past him. Good ponies! No spooking or kicking out.

The couple times Truby started to get tense and think about panicking, I just asked M to circle Cinco back. He walks much faster than Trubs, and by coming back and circling right in front of her, he kinda "hooked up" and it made her feel secure. Plus I think his momentum took her along! It worked a treat.


Just heading toward the road, nbd



Today was also the FIRST TIME we've walked 110% of the Loop. Usually I hop off right before we come around the last corner. That's the ranch's yard, and it can be quite hectic. Horses being ridden, horses playing in turnout, barnworkers working...and sometimes lazy coyotes sleeping on the trail. But all was quiet, so we just kept going.

I say 110% because when we got back to the start of the Loop, I nonchalantly just kept going. We rode through the gate and even down the little avenue! I opted to dismount when we hit the real road, but only because it was trash day and most of the cans were still out. I think Truby would have been fine, but no need to press our luck.



Home is at the end of this road and a bit to the right


We walked up to the gate, and waited for Juno. M lagged behind to make sure she came back with us. Junie was really dragging her paws...she didn't want to fun to be over! Barn Owner saw me by the gate and called "Have you seen my dog???" I yelled back "Yup! We stole her!'


Hanging out in the driveway


When we were all back on the farm, we clustered in the driveway chatting and laughing about the adventure. BO didn't mind Juno going with us, she knew we'd take care of her! A nice way to end a fabulous ride.



2 comments:

  1. Glad the dog made the round trip! I agree, I love gloomy even rainy Thanksgivings. Really gets you in the cozy spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we shared the Thanksgiving week weather, and when I read your post my thought was "yes!!! She's in Cali, but she knows how Thanksgiving should be!"

      Delete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...