Saturday, October 30, 2021

Mercury in Retrograde Part 2



Truby's mouth continued to heal and she seemed happier than ever. Sure, not a fan of the oral rinses, but all she would go would be to walk to the back corner of her stall and wait for me to catch her, lol. Poor sweet pony. Too agreeable to be naughty! Treats afterward always help. 


Thursday morning I was lazing around in my jammies, enjoying my day off and not having anything on my to-do list. When the barn owner called, I didn't even go into anxiety mode, obviously she was just calling about a possible ride to the vet for our Con-Ed adventure. 

Nope. Not even a little. 

Apparently Truby had collapsed twice and I really should get over there. 




I told her I was on my way, and changed into real clothes while calling the vet. Told them I had a Truby Emergency but wasn't really sure what was going on, just that she had collapsed? and would call with an update as soon as I got there. While I was talking to them, one of the boarders called, she had seen Truby collapse and wanted to make sure I was contacted. She sounded pretty freaked out and told me she'd wait for me. 

To be honest, I wasn't terrible worried at this point. But as I got closer to the barn, dread set in. I became absolutely convinced today would be the day I euthanized Truby. 
I never talk on the phone while driving, but on a desert road, trying not to drive too fast, I called our BFF Jena, even though she hates calls, to ask if she could meet me at the barn. Just in case. 

I parked near the Grey Horse Pod, and was greeted with Truby's usual whinny. O-kaaaay. That sounds fine? Walking into her stall she seemed ok. The boarder was watching her, and told me what she saw as I began checking Tru over. She had be working her horse in the arena and happened to see Truby fall. She laid down for a few minutes, then jumped up, kinda bounced around for a minute and then fell again. She said it looked like the HYPP attacks her old horse used to get. And while Truby has some Quarter Horse in her, none of it's even close to HYPP carriers. 

American Paint Horse, with some QH on her papers. 
No HYPP


Other than breathing a little shallow and quick, Truby seemed fine. I thanked the boarder profusely and told her I'd update her later, she could totally go on with her life, we were ok. I called the vet and told them things seemed pretty ok, but since something weird had happened, I still wanted her checked out that day if possible, but probably not an emergency. 


So I was hanging out, allowing my panic and fear to recede. Watching Truby resting in the sun. Watching her walk a few feet into the corner of her stall. Watching, amused, as she reached down to rub her nose on her ankle. Watching, and realizing the angles were all wrong. Her head was turned oddly and rigid at her neck. She was reaching down, just past her foot...and just kinda stuck there. It was super weird, so I grabbed my phone and started to take pictures. 

And watching as a look of horror and fear came over Truby's expression. Like something scary was creeping up on her. I quickly switched to video, and she began trembling all over. She began crouch, her head jigging between her front legs. Back rigid, all of her muscles quivering. It looked like she was trying to lay down but fighting it hard. 

Then she twisted her head to the outside of her front legs, and off balance, tried to catch herself but stepping over with her back. And then she started spinning. Her entire body was either completely rigid or trembling and shaking. As she begun to spin faster, I stopped recording to try and keep myself safe, and keep her from crashing into the fence. 

After what felt like forever, but was less than a minute, she finally stopped. She had been able to avoid falling, and stood exhausted, head down, confused. 


EB was in the stall next to us, and we shared a long, horrified look. I immediately emailed the video to my vet, and then called them. I told them I don't know what exactly just happened, but I sent them a video and I needed a vet WTFNOW. Realizing something Very Bad was happening, they had Dr I just finishing an appointment and would send her ASAP. 30 minutes. They'd forward her the video. 

That done, I focused on Truby. She was still. I gently stroked her and talked to her. Told her Dr I was on the way, she loved Dr I, and she always made Truby feel better. She'd take care of her and everything would be better. Of course. Of course Dr I would make it better. She'd be here soon. 

EB and I caught each other's eye again, and he told me that that's exactly what had happened earlier. He saw the whole thing. Using the most English I've ever heard from him, and some pantomime, he relayed the stiffness in the neck, her head. The shaking and spinning. Just that this time she hadn't fallen. Triste. Sad. She had looked sad afterwards. Yo entiendo. I undersand, I told him. My spanish is far too limited, but I was able to understand what he was telling me. 

He continued to clean stalls, keeping a worried eye on Truby, taking his time to stay nearby. I texted my work. Truby Emergency.  I wouldn't be in tomorrow. Cancel all my appointments, if anyone has a problem tell them to fuck right off. I almost never call out of work, so they knew it was bad. Most of my day was regular request customers, who had no problem rescheduling, and sent best wishes. One was new, and bitched, and was told, politely, to fuck right off. 

I was freaking out, obviously. I sent the video to our farrier, desperate for someone to talk to. I'm sure she was either trimming horses or driving to her next appointment, but texted with me, helping to pass the time. Finally, I heard the vet pull up. 







1 comment:

  1. Oh god this is terrifying, I'm so sorry you and Truby went through this.

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...