Thursday, December 9, 2021

Is It Mercury Retrograde Again? Part 2

 I may have gone home, but I didn't sleep very well. I was back at the barn just before 4 am. Even though I left Truby in decent condition, I was worried about what I would find. Sure enough, I didn't see her at all when I walked up in the pre-dawn darkness. My heart dropped when I saw her laying flat out. I quietly said her name and opened her stall door and she rolled sternal and gave me a little nicker. Whew! Just sleeping. 


This pic horrifies me
This horse is on unlimited hay plus grain plus muscle up and fat supplements
YIKES


I checked her over and noted her fever was gone. She stood up, and then laid back down after a few minutes. She got back up for the other half flake of alfalfa, and then back down. I snuggled into the corner and waited. Eventually the sky lightened just a bit, and EB was up and starting breakfast. I watched the sun come up. Truby gave EB a little whinny when he came by with her morning hay. 


I offered her some soaked hay pellets, which she continued to ignore. She also ignored the low starch pellets and balancer I offered. She did finish her alfalfa, and nibbled on the bermuda hay. She also spent a lot of time laying down, getting back up, laying down...etc. I left a note on her stall door, so that anyone visiting their horse didn't see and panic. For now, this up and down routine was "normal". 

I did go home midday for a bit. But of course I was back out late afternoon. The wind had really picked up, and even though it was in the low 50s, it felt much, much colder! Especially when the sun set. Brrrr! I wrapped Truby up in her blanket and popped her Back on Track leg wraps on. She seemed quite happy to be bundled up. She already seemed much perkier and happier. Still with the up and down, but I could tell she was getting better. 

 


This is how I spent Thanksgiving


Friday was much the same, expect I had to fit my visits in around work. Whose bright idea was it to work an extra day on Black Friday? Oh, yeah...mine. Luckily I had a full, but easy day. Barn buddy A checked her at midday, and said she thought Truby looked good, but EB said she looked triste again. Sad. A said she didn't agree, but whatever. When I headed over, I had to agree. She definitely seemed a lot better, but she did seem kinda bummed. Maybe she was just tired of being sick? Tired of getting up and down and down and up? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I had to admit...a little triste.




She got her blanket on again, and I decided to wrap her legs again. She could use the extra support and comfort, poor girl was getting a workout! The left hind was the last leg to wrap, and she was kinda shirty. She pulled her leg away, and then refused to set it down. I didn't see anything wrong and was tired. I swatted her, annoyed. Like, I'm trying to help you feel better! Just stay still! Of course, I immediately felt like a huge ass. I apologized, and gave her an extra cookie. 


When I arrived Saturday morning Truby was up, whinnying at everyone. She was bright eyed, begging for cookies and scratches. And just generally bursting with happiness. She clearly had forgotten my bad temper of the day before, and rubbed her head against me, resting her cheek against mine before head butting me and checking my hands for treats. I offered her some senior feed, which she gobbled up. (Truby is technically allergic to molasses, but I have never seen a reaction from it. And I thought it better to follow the vet's advice of OMG MAKE HER EAT than worry about it.) She was loving the super tasty food she was getting. I couldn't help laughing, she was just so dang cute and cheerful! I took of her blanket and unwrapped her legs. By chance, the left hind was the last leg to unwrap, and have I mentioned fuuuuuuckkkkk?

Lazar locked on the Cookie Shed



2 comments:

  1. Sorry to read this. Sending positive thoughts for your lovely girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like she is starting on the upward trajectory again!

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...