Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Beautiful Morning

You know it's going to be a wonderful day when you drive up to the barn, see your horse is grazing by the road, roll down your window and yell "Hi!", and they throw up their head, whinny, and start walking over to you.

All the feels



"...is anyone else coming?"
(slightly less feels)

This was a couple of weeks ago, the weather was a bit cooler (upper 90's instead of in the 100s. SO COOL, am I right?!) I decided to swing by the barn on my day off, and just brush Truby and love on her some. I mean, that IS the best way to start the day! When I saw her in the front pasture I figured I would take my grooming kit out there and groom her under the trees and enjoy the day.

I heard there might be snacks?


As luck would have it, I ran into the barn owner by the tack room, and finally got to meet the owner of the new mare that now lives with Truby. We chit chatted for a few minutes, and I saw Truby and her new friend, Cherry, walk up to the ring and wait for us all to stop talking and do something interesting, like feed them. I was disappointed, but Cherry's owner, Jenna, was really nice and we had to do that thing where you swap the life story of your horse and how you got them and how you ended up boarding here and is it ok to give treats and all that good stuff. This barn is so different from our last barn, which was self care, and you knew everyone and saw them basically every day. Here I might not run into anyone for weeks. It's really nice to have privacy and feel like the place is yours and yours alone, and not have to share the ring or the wash rack, etc. But it can be a little lonely sometimes. 

never  lonely with this one

By the time we finished chatting, Truby and Cherry had given up on snacks, and wandered back out front to graze. Score! I grabbed my grooming tote and headed out. It was so peaceful, under the hot Arizona sun, shaded by the prickly Arizona trees, currying and brushing my favorite pretty princess until she shone. It was a bit hard to leave that day. The light breeze through the trees tossed an endless pattern of light and shadow on the ground. The quiet munch munch munch and soft snort of the grazing mares. The occasional  truck driving down the gravelly road. Leaning against the warm solidness of a relaxed and happy horse. The absolute lack of needing to do anything at all. Amazing that no matter where you go in life, it seems you can always find those moments with horses. 

especially with this one around <3



No comments:

Post a Comment

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...