Wednesday, September 27, 2017

#Mareglare

Truby is usually a pretty sweet and easygoing horse. She's been a generally good natured and happy horse her entire life, with maybe the exception of being 4. She was a bitchy teenager at 4! She tends to be more of a "people horse" than a "horse horse", but even so, she usually gets along with everyone and don't fuss or fight. Much.

Hi! I'm Truby, let's be FRIENDS!!!



Right now she's out with a laid back OTTB named Cherry. Truby loves Cherry, and they're the very best friends. Briefly a third horse was in with them, and Truby was happy to be Second-in-Command to Captain Cherry, as they played Mean Girls to the new horse. (Cherry: You can't sit with US. Go sit in the corner!"Truby: YEAH, go sit in the corner!) 

Sharing midday hay. They took turns eating from the tub. It was cute.

But...Truby Does Not like to share two things: my attention, and treats. Cookie Person and Cookies are 100% Truby Only. Truby is also super NOT imtimidating, even when she puts her ears back and makes ugly faces. It's like a tiny kitten hissing. It's just hard to take seriously. 


Basically Truby being "mean"



So yesterday I was visiting the barn, and groomed Truby loose under the trees, and then went for a little bareback ride. Washed her tail afterwards, and loved on her a bit. I returned her to her turnout area with BFF Cherry and put my stuff away. I grabbed the last two carrots from the fridge, and went back out to give each mare a carrot. They both enjoyed them (of course). And then the carrots were all gone. No more carrots. No more cookies. All gone. So Truby started getting bitchy about imaginary carrots. Potential carrots. Carrots that could be. 

Cookies. Are...gone?


Truby: MY CARROTS
Cherry: I love you, friend. I just like being with you.

Truby: GET AWAY FROM MY CARROTS!
Cherry: I like hanging out with you, my friend!


Truby: SHE'S STEALING MY CARROTS (that don't exist)
Cherry: Yay, friends! Let's remember eating yummy treats. I like carrots.


Truby: GET AWAY FROM MY CARROTS, IF I HAD ANY RIGHT NOW!
Cherry: I don't have a carrot either, let's look for some together!

Cherry: Truby is my friend and I love her. I love carrots too. Have any more?
No? Okay. I still like you.


Cherry: *wistfully licks her lips, remembering carrots*

It really is hard to be afraid or intimidated by a Truby, even when she's angry. Her MARE GLARE-EARS FLAT only makes me laugh. People used to horses just roll their eyes. And the other horses she lives with? Not impressed. At all. Ever. Cherry is especially unconcerned, it's kinda like when your best friend is stressed about something and freaking out and you're kinda just like, "it's ok, you can say whatever, I know you're just worried about your job. No biggie. Let's go get ice cream."


No more carrots? I guess there's no reason to be cute.
Ever. Again.

Carrots. Srs Bsns is Trubyland. Guess I'd better restock the fridge!





2 comments:

  1. Horses are funny! Hi there. Found you through 2ptober and looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Nice to meet you! I've been finding so many new blogs through the 2pointober contest, too. What fun!

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...