Tuesday, October 10, 2017

This Might be Hard to Explain

Today is my day (mostly) off. I have something planned for the afternoon, but the morning was free, all for me to enjoy. I slept in a little bit, did some lounging around, did some housework, did a little yoga. I had enough time to go visit Truby. My plan was to deep condition her tail, give her a good grooming, and go for a short bareback ride.

Today's Truby Time

The weather is gorgeous today! It's sunny and warm, but (finally) not TOO warm. And there's a nice breeze too. A cool breeze. It's lovely, and almost feels like autumn. Almost. I had Truby tied to the hitching rail, it was a lovely morning, spending time with a lovely horse. 

And then....who knows what happened, but Truby threw herself backward while I was brushing her side. I immediately began with the 'whoa, steady, easy Truby, whoa...' routine that you learn to do so you can calm spooky horses. But instead of hitting the end of the rope and stopping, Truby kept pulling back...and then...

50 feet down the driveway...


Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

Of course I didn't just whip out my phone to take pictures while she was freaking out. She had stopped and was standing. As I approached her, I figured I might as well grab a pic. Then Truby remembered that WTF IS GOING ON??? and starting running back again. 

I finally got to Truby. She had pulled SO HARD the knots on her rope halter got pulled overtight and stretched it out so much it slipped off her head and was just around her neck. I untied the rope from the hitching rail (knot slipped right out) and reset the halter. Truby was being to calm down, and as I stroked her neck and rubbed her forehead, I thought

How am I going to explain this to the ranch owner??????




So I texted over a picture and tried to explain what happened



I *think* Tru pulled slightly and the top weld gave away
That startled her and she starting pulling...


VERY SUSPICIOUS HOLE
She dragged the concrete right out of the ground


I managed to drag it back to where it started. That sucker
is heavy!

The only reply I got was that the ranch owner was glad neither of us were hurt. I think Truby will be sore, but she seemed to be okay otherwise. Ranch owners are really nice, understanding people, so I'm sure it will be okay, and they know it was just an accident, and hopefully not kick us out! Fingers crossed!
The pole parts were fairly light weight, but the concrete setting was HEAVY. I would say at least 75-100 pounds. I had a great time dragging it back in place! I left a deep gouge in the driveway. There's maybe one or two divots from where Truby pulled it down the drive - she's strong - especially when panicked! 

Rhett was sooo concerned the shenanigans outside his pasture,
can you tell?


Looking innocent


I decided to give her some Bute
It made her angry




So sweet and innocent!

Horses! I just don't even. At least no one was hurt? Sigh.




6 comments:

  1. That's actually kind of impressive in a "Holy cow, I'm glad everyone came out unscathed!" way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah! Things are always better when everyone emerges unharmed. Truby's acting nothing ever happened, and I have a new Truby Story, lol.

      Delete
  2. Sheesh, so glad it wasn't any worse! Those moments are always so dang scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Luckily it was over quickly and no one was hurt (well, the hitching rack...) all's well that ends well!

      Delete
  3. Sheesh, your horse has super strength. Glad she's ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She's basically the incredible hulk of horses.

      Delete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...