Thursday, October 5, 2017

I have a problem



99 problems and a clean horse will never be one

No. Well, I mean yes. In addition to the chronically dirty desert pony problem, I have other problems. *gasp* I know, you're shocked. My problem is that while I'm pretty good at setting goals...I am terrible at follow through.

Then I discovered a trick. If I sign up for an event or contest, and set my goal around that, I'm about 98 million times more likely to follow through. 

I love you, lazy person. 
Because you're not too lazy to bring me cookies. 

Even though it's October, it's still quite hot in Tucson (have you heard? It gets hot here.) It's been in the upper 90s during the day, although it's getting quite chilly (50s) at night. Btw, my body DOES NOT APPROVE. It should be cold, or it should be hot, but it should not be both every day. 

So, it's pretty hot, which makes it hard for me to do much outside during the day. It's hard to be motivated to ride. Too hot. Too sunny. Will melt. 

Late evening is glorious though

Enter good ol' Pony'tude. I've been following her blog for years, and last week she announced the 2Pointober contest. Basically, you time yourself riding in 2 point (jumping position) and see how much you can improve over the month. While I've barely ridden all summer, there's a "most improved" category, so hope for a prize! Yesterday I did my baseline time, and it was short, but that only gives me room to improve! 

I'm quite excited about this. It gives me the motivation to make a riding plan, and stick to it. It will also help my other goal I'm working towards, which is a 5k. Because I'm a moron. 

Truby is less excited, and looks how my thighs feel today.

In a more perfect world, I would be able to set goals, and follow through based on the strength of own self, rather than requiring the approval of other people (ie contests) to follow through. But, not a perfect world. At least I have something that works! 


More cookies. Less riding. Less baths. Tao of Truby. 







4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog thru 2ptober - glad you're participating! Truby is adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that it's all about learning what works for you. I have 0 motivation to get myself to the gym, but if I make an appointment with someone, I show up!

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...