Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Doctor Cookie Visits!

Since the last visit from the vet, I've made some changes with Truby. First off, I go and feed her her supplements every day. I had issues all summer with her not necessarily getting her supplements each day, plus, when she did get them, she had the tendency to swap meals with her buddy Cherry, since pasture feeding sucks. So now I go and feed them every day. I know they were fed, and I know TRUBY ate them. Plus it gets me out to see her everyday!

I added in a joint supplement, as well as an amino acid supplement, which claims to be good for helping horses develop muscle. It was cheap and had good reviews, so I thought I'd see if it helped.

Will be cute for snax

I was pleased that Truby seemed to look better 2 weeks or so after the vet visit. Of course, it was mostly due to the fact that she had enough hoof grow out to protect her tender little tootsies. But she continued to look happier in general and walk more freely. Sometimes I'd look at her think  "wow! You look great!"

But then...sometimes I'd look and her and think she was still off. Something, somewhere was wrong. And I couldn't really put my finger on it. So I called the Cookie Doctor and had him come back out, because who  needs money when a Truby might be ouchy? 

This is how hoof supplements work, right?


So Cookie Doctor came out. We talked about what I was doing with Truby and what I'd noticed. And how I might just be a hypochondriac horse owner, but maybe not. He looked Truby over, and had me walk and trot her up the driveway. I was thrilled to not trip and fall on myself, but Truby thought trotting was stupid. 

Then we did some flexion tests. Cookie Doctor would flex a limb, then have me trot her across the arena, do a tight turn, and then he would take the rope and trot Truby so *I* could see her move, without having to do the test twice. Love that.

We hit the jackpot with her right hind fetlock. As soon as we started moving I could hear the lameness and feel the resistance through the lead rope. I thought it was dramatic, and he scored it a 4 out of 6. The pain and stiffness up in her stifle areas are now thought to be caused by compensating for her painful fetlock. Her first few steps of those tests were off, but she quickly worked right out of it. 

Before every test, while he was explaining what we were going to do, the vet gave Truby a horse cookie and a rub on the forehead. After each test was complete, he'd give her another cookie. He told me that he knew he was going to cause her pain or at least discomfort, and he didn't want her to think he was doing it to be mean. Since Truby lives for cookies, she didn't hold a grudge for long!

I love you, Doctor Cookie <3 


At one point, he apologized, and walked back to his truck.
He had run out of treats and went to get more.



So, we know where Truby's really hurting. But why, and what do we do about it? I, of course, am fiscally irresponsible, and decided to have him come back out and do some x-rays. I really want to know exactly what's wrong, rather than assume it's just arthritis. Which is pretty much where we're at. 

I'm concerned that she has arthritis that bad, and that suddenly. Is is because she really aggravated it during her hitching post disaster? Or is it just really bad and now my princess pony is a cripple? Or do we have a fracture or chip? Ringbone? Ankle gremlins? 

I am happy, Truby is back to her cheerful self, she's moving much better, just the odd step now and again. Basically I have a content horse. But...something is still wrong. So that has me worried. I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on with that leg! 

Pre-appointment grazing on a sunny afternoon. 



2 comments:

  1. I think its good you are getting xrays so you can get to the root of her fetlock pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had xray vision...it would make life with horses so much easier!

      Delete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...