Saturday, December 2, 2017

Achievement Unlocked: Desert Wildlife

I'm moping around with a head cold today, so let me tell you about THE COOLEST THING EVER that happened a few weeks ago!

I got off work a little early, and was debating whether or not to stop by the barn on the way home, or wait until later in the day. I finally realized that if I went home first, I was probably going to sprawl on the sofa and never move again. Better to go in the middle of the afternoon and avoid the sofa temptation.

When I drove up, I noticed Truby standing in the middle of the gate area between the ring and the front pasture. She was perpendicular to the fenceline, looking into the neighbors property. It was a really weird position to be in...but she seemed normal, and gave me a little whinny and walked right over when I pulled up, so I shrugged and chalked it up to "horses are weird".

I gave her her supplements and a handful of grain, and hung out with her while she ate. Just petting her and looking her over. Truby was munching away, and I was leaning on her, enjoying the afternoon sunshine and smell of warm horse. I glanced idly over into the neighbors field, wondering what Truby had been looking at earlier.

And then.

Then I saw it.

Just sitting the the grass.

Right on the other side of the fence. Totally chill.



A bobcat!!!!!!!!!

Even though Tucson is a good sized city, we have a ton of wildlife that is perfectly at home wandering the streets and trekking though yards. The washes crisscross the city and allow wild animals like coyotes, bobcats, javelinas, etc to travel all around without having to worry about humans or cars. It's incredibly common to have wild critters knocking about your trash cans or playing on your patio (so I'm told!)

I was really disappointed when I first moved here. It took me weeks to see my first wild critter - a road runner - out in the wild. Finally, after about 6-7 months of living here, I saw a coyote trotting down the road. A few months ago, my husband and I saw a pair of javelinas crossing the road while we were out walking one morning.

But my dream has always been to see a bobcat in the wild. I know that bobcats will stalk around houses, and even bring their kits out to play poolside at people's homes. Clearly these wildcats are not shy!

So you can imagine how excited I was to finally see a bobcat, in the wild, and super close up! I was torn between watching her as long as possible, and running back to my car to grab my phone. (Bad logic: I'm just going to feed Truby, I don't need to bring my phone. That would be silly!) I watched for a bit, then hustled over, grabbed my phone, and hustled back.

going places, doing things


Stalking ground squirrels 

It was almost unreal to watch a bobcat, maybe from 50 feet away. She was strolling through the pasture, pausing now and again to stand perfectly still, staring at the ground. I assumed she was hunting ground squirrels, and could hear them rustling under her feet. And she was SO CLOSE!


I want to hug her so bad!!!!


I got some video too, but blogger won't let me upload...I'll try and figure out how to get it up sometime when I'm not super sick. 

So, I'm watching this bobcat, and internally squeeing, and stalking alongside her as she travels through the neighbors field to the wash behind the ranches. and I feel something bump my shoulder.


hi! We're watching bobcats do bobcat things! Yay!

Yup. Truby was tiptoeing behind me! Apparently this is our thing. It was interesting though - none of the horses seemed at all concerned about the predator strolling along the fence. Granted, horses are probably too big for a bobcat to attack, but you'd think they'd at least be worried. Nope. Only Truby seemed to even notice the bobcat, and while she enjoyed watching, she didn't seem at all concerned. Just interested.


annoyed at me for taking too long to line up the perfect shot



Hi Kitty! I'm Truby, let's be friends?


I watched until the bobcat wandered out of sight, probably headed home via the wash behind us. It was the most incredible experience I think I've ever had. It was just so close! And so relaxed! Had the fence between us not been wire mesh, I probably would have done something really stupid, like get waaaay too close, and maybe try and give it a hug. She was so chill it was really tempting! It's probably a really good thing that fence is mesh...



P.S. do not hug bobcats
even if they had cute wittle ear spots and a wittle nubby tail!






 
My cat, Sara, is a Highland Lynx, and one of the early breedstock.
HLX cats have quite a bit of American Bobcat in them, which is probably why
it's so tempting for me to want to snuggle actual bobcats.
Since this is probably a bad idea, and my health insurance sucks, 
I instead only snuggle  my little bobcat Sara. 
Sara thinks this is great, and purrs and purrs and purrs. 

P.S.2. Do NOT attempt to snuggle wild animals! 
And if you do, don't blame me, kthanx. 


3 comments:

  1. SO CUTE! What a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow so cool! I've been used to seeing Coyotes quite a bit where my horses lived and currently live, as well as plenty of their food source - ground squirrels and rabbits. In college we were in the woods so we saw Deer all the time, never did see a mountain lion tho.

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...