Monday, April 30, 2018

Trail Riding with Truby

Truby and I have put quite a bit of time into getting her ready for her first real trail ride. We've got the driveway gate down, no problem. Walking down the road to the trail? Great, even on trash day! 



Just a horse going through your garbage and judging you.


We were planning to go for our first actual trail ride the day after Truby tangled with the fence. So obviously we had to delay a bit. Thanks to our handwalking exploits, she's gotten a lot of time on the trail, and I was sure she was ready for a ride. We made plans again, but they fell through. In a rare moment of bravery I decided to just tack up and go anyway! If things fell apart I could just hop off, right? Or...never get on and just do a tack walk!

I got Truby ready, loaded up on carrots, and off we went! It was a beautiful morning. Sunny, warm, nice breeze. Truby seemed relaxed and happy, I had some butterflies. The trail owner thoughtfully provides a nice two step mounting block right by the driveway, which is much appreciated! I checked my girth, crossed my fingers (and toes!) and swung up. 



First trail ride!

We didn't waste any time hanging around, and headed down the trail. Truby was pretty relaxed, ears up, striding forward....s.l.o.w.l.y. She wasn't balky or resistant, just walking super slow. She seemed a bit unsure and just wanted to take it slow to find her balance, and as long as she was going forward and not looking at things to spook at, I was okay with it. 

YOU GUYS!!!!! I RODE MY HORSE ON A TRAIL!!!!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!

This is such a huge milestone for us! A few years ago we really put in the effort and time and expense to do some horse shows. Same two venues, but we logged a lot of miles, just walking. Walking from the moment she stepped off the trailer to the moment everyone else finally finished their classes and was ready to leave. It took a long time for her to feel comfortable enough to just stand still for a bit. And another visit or two before we could try the show ring. (PS take your baby horses off property as soon as you have good ground manners! Get them used to going places! Start now! Don't be me and trying to convince an old horse new tricks. Start 'em young!) Anyway, even though we eventually got a good handle on the show grounds, trail riding was still a distant dream. 



Unsure about walking directly away from home



Did we go far? Hell no. We walked down the trail towards our barn. The trail loops north just behind home, and as soon as we started away, Truby got really uneasy. Cowgirl and Windy were screaming the entire time, which didn't help. We got a bit up the trail and then Truby turned around.  She was tense and moving at a fast walk. I turned her away and sent up away from home. Then it dawned on me NOT TO PICK A FIGHT. 

We have lots of time to go the entire loop. Make the first ride, short, sweet, and stress free. I let her turn around again and walk back the way we came. Truby heaved a big sigh, lowered her head and walked at a nice, even pace. Success! Turns out, I am capable of making good decisions. 

Even when we followed the trail back to the start and were again walking directly away from home (to the east this time) Truby stayed relaxed. She felt good. We were out together enjoying the day. What could be better?


Join us!


Once we reached the trailhead I hopped off and showered Truby in hugs, pats, and praise. Oh, and carrots! We walked home with a swing in our steps and a smile on our faces. Maybe just the smile on my face, however, Truby did seem quite pleased. 

Once home, I pulled off her tack and gave her the ultimate reward for white horses: turn out in a dusty pen while sopping wet! I think she enjoyed herself. And she definitely deserved it!



A well earned roll in the dirt!




2 comments:

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...