Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Unexpected

Loose horse!!!



Not much going on here in Trubyland. It's hot. It's dry. We were expecting to get some monsoon storms last week, but at the last minute they stayed south. I was really looking forward to it and was disappointed they didn't make it to Tucson. They're calling for monsoons again this weekend, but I'm not getting my hopes up this time!

Truby is doing great. She got a new, larger water tub in her stall. She's doing a great job of staying hydrated! She loves to nap out in the sun in the afternoon, even if she has the option of being inside her stall under her fan. She loves that too. She's well balanced.



Morning rides are best rides


Last Friday I got home a little after 4pm. I was HOT and TIRED. The heat is draining everyone's energy, according to my own informal poll of people I meet. I was hot because I hate using the AC in my car. Don't ask, there's not a good reason. Anyway, I asked my husband to go pick up a package at the front desk, so I could lounge on the sofa and drink some icy water. 

He sent me a text saying there was kittens at the front desk. Husband is NOT a 'let's get a kitten!' kinda guy, so I just texted him back to bring me a kitten and the packages. I knew he was joking, and wasn't surprised when we came back sans kitten. But I WAS surprised when we told me the kittens were really pretty, I should go get one. We had no plans to get a kitten. Too soon after loosing Sara. We might move at the end of the year. We had a chance to foster/adopt a beautiful and sweet young tortishell cat, but passed. Just not right. Not ready.

So when we were up at the apartment office and holding pretty little kittens, I was still suspicious. My husband told me if we got one, I'd have to go out and buy some kitten food. And then we were walking back to our apartment with a tiny kitten in my arms. 



Sent husband to pick up an Amazon package, 
came home with a kitten


Apparently at the beginning of May, one of the residents here found a momma cat and her three tiny baby kittens inside a big clay pot on her patio. One of office employees ended up taking them in. She's keeping the already spayed momma cat, and one of the kittens. We took the prettier and friendlier of the available pair. It's been a few days, and she's settled in quite well. She's silly, and playful, and into everything. Just the way a kitten should be!




 She's fallen into the window behind her a time or two...


She loves being under the sofa,
but is happy to come out and play!


I haven't had a kitten in almost 15 years, since I first got Sara and her two tiny kittens. That's a long time! Both husband and I are completely enchanted by her. The cats we've had since getting together have always been MY cats, and husband never really connected much. He's in love with Auri, and it's so nice to have a kitten together.  

She got her name almost as soon as I met her. Having reread The Slow Regard of Silent Things just a few days before, Auri seemed like the perfect name for the tiny, dainty little kitten that so unexpectedly appeared in my life. 
























So yes, in some ways, these would be enough. But how awful would that be? How terrible to live surrounded by the stark, sharp, hollowness of things that were simply *enough*? 
Sitting on the warm, smooth floor of Mantle, Auri shivered at the thought of moving through a joyless world like that. Nothing perfect. Nothing beautiful and true. Oh no. She was too wise to live that way. Auri looked around and smiled at all her luxury. She had a perfect loving leaf and lavender. She wore her favorite dress. Her name was Auri, and it was a shining piece of gold inside her all the time.




3 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous! Sometimes they find you at just the right time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're totally right...kittens are sneaky like that!

      Delete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...