Monday, December 24, 2018

The Calm During The Storm

 Truby made a friend!


Thursday afternoon was one of those perfect afternoons that we have in Tucson. It was warm, and sunny, and the light was golden. The barn was peaceful and quiet. It was the kind of day that just begs you to sit down, soak in the sunshine and just relax. 

Truby and I enjoyed a nice easy stroll. It was too lazy an afternoon to even walk. Just a nice meander together. 



Glowing in the afternoon sun


It's impossible to describe how calm and gentle these afternoons are. The sun warms you just enough to feel good and drowsy, but not so much to be hot or uncomfortable. Everything seems to glow gently. The horses are relaxed and sleepy. After  we were done riding, I just sat on Truby, breathing in the perfectness. Enjoying the soft, fuzzy creature beneath me. Truby blinked slowly, and started to doze. 





I knew that Friday would start The Gauntlet. The last few days before Christmas, and even worse, a weekend. Luckily for me, it wasn't too crazy. I was definitely very busy, but not overwhelmed. There was some moments of chaos, but not many. A few rude people, but just a few. Most of our customers were wonderful to deal with, happy we could get their pups clean and fluffy before Christmas. Pretty much people we see all year round.

But in the middle of a rough patch, it helped to remember Thursday. Try to recapture some of the peace of that day. Remember the soft snort and quiet munching of the horses eating their hay. The warm and fuzzy coats and velvety muzzles.

Sunday after work I hand walked Truby for a bit. Same golden light and sleepy sunshine. We soaked in the last warmth of the day (once the sun sets it gets chilly!). It felt so good to stretch my legs and enjoy the scenery of our adopted home. We walked among the mesquite trees, which is a bit like old English parkland. Lots of trees, but with the underbrush all cleared. Of course, there's no grass or grand oak trees, but it almost feels the same.



CANDY CANESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!



I successfully ran The Gauntlet, and survived! In the 15 or 16 years I've been grooming, I think this was one of the least stressful holiday seasons. Busy! But not terrible. Still, I'm so happy it's over, and I can relax. Today I gave the last few gifts to friends, wished everyone a Merry Christmas, and spent a blissful hour putzing around the barn. Truby is tucked in for night with a fresh stall of fluffy shavings, a big net of hay, and a couple extra treats. Now it's time to tuck myself into bed, with a fluffy blanket, not shavings! In the morning I'll give Auri her Christmas present, a whole bag of catnip mousies. Then I'll get to spend the day with Truby. It will be a wonderful Christmas! 


Gotta find juuuuust the right place to roll







3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right?! The penguin is named Amy, and she was given to me by my friend's 4 year old, who is learning about giving. I took a whole bunch of Amy Adventures pictures, and gave her back on Christmas Eve. I showed the little girl all the adventures Amy went on!

      Delete
  2. I too keep that bit of riding sunshine in my heart for the hard times.

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...