Monday, December 31, 2018

Closing Out 2018




All in all, I think my 2018 was a pretty good year. Of course, it came immediately after 2017, which was just a fucking dumpster fire of a year, so it's hard not to improve on that. (Fun fact, on the 30th or 31st of December 2017, there was a literal dumpster fire at a nearby dump. It was *great*.)

This year has been much, much better. The new barn that we moved to in February continues to be wonderful. Truby continues to be happy and sound. And we've gotten to explore trail riding a little bit more,  with walks and rides on the nearby Loop Trail! 


Getting in a hike before a storm rolls in


Recently it's been COLD. Like, for reals cold. Low 50s during the day, and down into the low 30s or even 20s at night! Brrrrr! Truby's staying snug as a bug in her rugs. I've been layering her new Back on Track mesh sheet under a no fill rain sheet, and her Back on Track quick wraps, to keep her warm and toasty at night.


I'm toasty!


This past week or so we've gone for two walks out on the Loop, and two arena rides - with a saddle! I finally feel up to fully tacking her up for rides. Plus she's pretty slick and slippery with her nightly blanketing. A bit of self preservation!

The first time we did a saddle ride, she was NOT amused. She wanted to lollygag and sightsee, and I decided that saddle = work. Bareback rides can be for fun, but riding with a saddle will mean SRS BSNS time. 





She wasn't too bad. A couple times she threw her head up and jigged forward. Highly disappointed that that didn't intimidate me, and I could bring her back to a walk in a few strides with just my seat. She also kicked out at my leg once, when I gave her a little thump to remind her not to ignore me when I squeezed. Sorry, Grumpy Pants McMareFace, leg means stuff! And you gotta do it. She gave me a good reminder to kept my leg on, even when she was being 'hot' and 'racy'. I mean, as much as a couch potato can be hot! Still, we ended on a good note, and a few days later, she was much more amiable about going for a working saddle ride. 


When I was driving home after that first ride, I looked over and saw a HUGE, BRIGHT rainbow! A double rainbow! I pulled over as soon as I could, and grabbed a picture. Then I texted M, Cinco's owner, and told her to look north! (She was still out at the barn.) And of course, as soon as I got home I grabbed the husband and made him got out in the rain to look.


taken from the side of the road




Decent panoramic photo from our apartment complex


M sent me this picture from the barn


I'm taking that huge rainbow that stretched from past my home to past the barn, covering them both in sparkly rainbow glory as a good sign. 2019 could be another year of change, and possible chaos. (Husband graduates and will get a new job in a new field. Anything could happen.) But we're starting it in a good place. Truby's happy. I'm happy. Things are going well. And hopefully they will only get better! 

Yeah, yeah. But a girl can dream, right?


Truby's ready!

2 comments:

  1. I mean that rainbow has got to be sign enough that awesome stuff is on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...