Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Successfully Building Success


Super Scary trail marker

After seeing the gorgeous pictures of our last adventure, Barn Owner asked if she and her horse, Primo, could join us next time we went. This is a great idea, because (1) everything is more fun with friends! and (2) Primo is such a chill babysitter type horse. I knew he'd be a reassuring influence for Truby, and help her to relax and enjoy herself.


 Grazing before entering the wash

Unfortunately, life interrupted our plans, and Barn Owner couldn't go. But it was a beautiful day, and I had the plans in my head, so I filled my pockets with treats and off we went!

This time we met the scary delivery vans on the way down home road. This driver was much more considerate, but Truby still panicked a bit. BUT, by the time the came back past us, she was totally fine and barely reacted at all. Thank you, FedEx driver! You are awesome, and I appreciate it! Also props to the local USPS driver. He wasn't scary to Truby, but he must have seen her spook at the FedEx van, since he was extra slow as well. 


Nice man. Nice dog.

Otherwise the journey to the wash was uneventful. Truby was cheerful and willing, and less tense than our first trip.
She was happy to walk into the wash, but a bit excited and energetic. She was mannerly though. We passed an older man walking his dog. At first I was worried, as the dog was clearly off leash, but the good pup stayed right next to her owner. We exchanged pleasantries as we walked past each other, but didn't stop. Truby was disappointed, I think she wanted to meet the dog!





Would she even BE a mare if she didn't throw some side eye?

We walked a little bit farther down the wash than we did the first time, but not by too much. The sand is still deep and loose near the water. No wading in either, it was much colder than last week!


Checking out some yard work on the other side



Best pony takes a drink



I had to be aware of time, since I needed to be home, showered, and ready for an appointment that afternoon, so we didn't stay in the wash quite as long as we would have wanted. I needed to have plenty of time to take a leisurely stroll back, and hopefully undo any damage that our hasty exit last time had caused. 


Lots of time for snacks




Our relaxed trip back was entirely successful! There was lots of fresh green grass, and I let Truby stop at all the especially lush spots. She stayed totally relaxed, and even approached the trailhead rocks and decided maybe they didn't eat Trubys after all.

When we got past them, she gave the little head toss she does when she's proud of herself. I laughed, patted her neck, and she tossed her head again. It's super cute! Then she strutted all the way home. I have to admit, I was so proud of the both of us, I strutted too!


Getting another drink, because Best Desert Pony

We returned home, happy and relaxed. After picking her hooves and a little rubdown, I turned her back out with Cinco. They got back to the important business of eating hay. She wasn't upset about our adventure at all. What a perfect confidence building afternoon! 

This week it's been cold (low 30s at night, 50s during the day) and extremely windy, so no off farm adventures. Next week we should have some fun!


Cutest Christmas Pony!


1 comment:

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...