Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Finding Peace When You Can

Perfection

Well, Tucson went from ho-hum, coronavirus, no big deal to OMGBUYALLTHETOILETPAPER!!!! real fast. I knew toilet paper, dried beans, and rice had been sold out everywhere for quite a few days, but I was shocked when I went to the store after work on Monday and saw all the selves that were just wiped out. Every package of pasta - gone. 95% of spaghetti sauces - gone. Soup/stock, gone. Flour, gone. Meat was almost entirely gone. I picked up my usual prescription at CVS, and almost all their first aid supplies had been gone for days, according to the pharmacist. It was a sobering, and chilling afternoon. 

I was feeling unsettled and worried so I went to visit Truby. Trubys are good comforters. She had had quite the drama-llama weekend (more later), but I was relieved to see she was walking sound and straight, and seemed totally recovered. It was a little cool, but comfortable in my tee shirt. The sun had dropped enough to be golden, but not blinding. I slipped on Truby's sidepull, gave her a cookie and got on. 


Local pack, they live on the back of the property and are "our" coyotes. 
They know the horses, the horses know them
and they're basically like farm dogs


We rode in the big turnout. Truby was striding out, loose and swingy. Ears up and enjoying herself. I felt a part of her. In tune with her movement. We both breathed deeply and occasionally stopped to close our eyes, face tilted towards the setting sun. 

I felt so relaxed, so connected to our small bit of the world. We watched "our" coyotes coming back from hunting. It's funny, all the horses know our coyotes and have no concerns about them. We've even run into them out on the Loop, and it's no big deal. OTHER coyotes alarm them, which is fine. But ours? Just part of the barn.




I count 4, of the 8 or so that came past


We took one more loop of the turnout out before heading in. Loathe to end such an lovely ride, I walked around the barn one last time, where we met up with Juno. She was also just enjoying the evening, but joined us for a turn around the barn.


Junie blends in, I'm always a little scared we're going to trample her by accident



This face. I love her.




You only get 2 seconds to snap a selfie before she gets bored

I'm so grateful for such a lovely evening with Truby. Horses are always so amazing at grounding us, and helping us put our fears aside. I'm always grateful to have her at such a nice little private barn, but now doubly so. No restrictions on visiting, no worries about sharing/catching anything. I'm often there by myself. 


She's going to protect me from covid19.
As soon as she's done her nap


Husband has started working from home. I guess I'll be working until we're ordered to close. When I left work we were still super busy and making appointments, but who knows what's happened since Monday, everything is changing so fast. We have lots of elderly clients, so I worry for them and hope they'll make good choices. I was lucky and hit the library before they closed. The horses have a great supply of feed, I grabbed some cat litter for Auri, and extra shaving for Truby. We have plenty of toilet paper and snacks to keep us comfortable for awhile. I'm mostly worried about the people panicking and doing dumb shit. As long as I can go to the barn and lay my head on Truby's neck, I'll be okay. 

Peace and luck to everyone out there. Be safe.



1 comment:

  1. Horses will always remain a great comfort in hectic times

    ReplyDelete

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...