Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Horse I Already Have

 

She's perfect, actually

Sometimes I look at an Arizona horses for sale facebook page and daydream about buying another horse (like you do). It's always the solid citizen QHs that catch my eye...a roan or a bright chestnut...bombproof, trail rides anywhere, load up and horse show, grandma safe, etc etc etc. And it's definitely fun to look and daydream, but of course there's no way I can afford another horse! I started telling myself, if you really want a good, solid trail horse...WHY DON'T YOU DO THAT WITH THE HORSE YOU ALREADY HAVE?!


I've been working on that for several years. Truby's usually good as gold at home, but step over the property line...and nope. Instant anxiety, brain falls out, panic panic panic. So we've been chipping away at it. Lots of small steps, lots of hand walking, lots of carrots, lots and lots of good experiences and tons of carrots. 


It's paying off


As it turns out, Truby is becoming that easy breezy trail horse! The other week M and I finally had a day off at the same time and planned to trailer out for a ride. The weather was perfect. Warm, sunny, a little breeze. The horses were relaxed and lazy. M and I were happy and ready for an adventure. 


We went to a new to me place, still in Saguaro National Park East, but a different area, much busier, but very nice. Truby stepped off the trailer totally chill, and then stuck her face in her haynet and just...hung out. Usually we have to walk off her nervousness, but that day she was content to just stand by the trailer and eat. M is partial to giving Cinco lots of time just hanging out at the trailer and eating, so she was fine to wait and let the ponies relax and munch. 



I don't trust her to be tied, but she didn't move an inch

We hand walked down the road a bit, and then headed into the park. There's a couple large boulders that make perfect mounting blocks, and I hopped on. Truby was calm, but ready to go, so I really should have waited for M to get on first. She was still faffing about, and Truby needed to move, so we walked a large circle...and while Tru couldn't stand, and was Very Interested in everything, she wasn't wild or uncontrollable. A minute later M was on and we hit the trail. 


The first part of the trail wound gently through typical Tucson desert. It was lovely. So peaceful. Birds singing, the warmth of the sun, the fuzzy ponies...it was hard to realize that the outskirts and suburbs of the city aren't that far away! Truby was relaxed and enjoying herself, despite some grumpy looking ears (I don't know why, mares!) I was absolutely enchanted by the scenery. If you like deserts...this is a good place to go!

Took a video for my dad










After a mile or so down the desert path, we cut across to a dirt road. For awhile it was totally clear, and I asked if we could trot a bit. Truby happily picked up a trot, but as we neared a parked car with sun reflecting off the windshield at us, Truby's head got higher, she steps shorter, and her knees higher. Laughing, I brought her back to a walk and we passed the highly sus van. 




Before long we would have several cars pass us on the road, every one driving slowly. At first Truby was concerned, but quickly decided it was no big deal. We also passed some people walking their (leashed) dogs, and that was interesting, but not alarming. At one point we had cars passing in both directions while we waited off in the brush. Truby had a long minute where she was trying to decide if she should freak out, but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it, sighed, and that was it. She didn't bat an eye at anything else the rest of the ride. 



Heading toward the wash



We left the road, and headed down toward the wash. The footing is deeper and pretty abrasive (also, filled with hikers!) so we crossed over, and followed the trail that would loop back around to where we started. This part of the trail is interesting, with little hills and steps cut into the trial. By this time Truby was pretty tired, and didn't get to enjoy it as much as she would have. She wasn't exhausted, but it was definitely a bit too long a ride for her. She was tired, but game to keep going.

















I had gotten a Christmas saddle pad and matching helmet cover, which were a big hit with the hikers we passed! I got lots of compliments, and also overheard lots of squealing at the cute white horse with her festive saddle pad. I may have ordered MORE Christmas gear...which is backordered, but finally arriving tomorrow. I plan to give M our saddle pad cover and an elf hat of her own. Truby will get a quarter sheet and rein covers. I can't wait! It's super adorable.




We gave the horses a good rest at the trailer, again Truby was happy to hang out and eat hay. She was tired, but quite pleased with herself! It was obvious she enjoyed the ride as much as I did. Basically the entire time I was chattering about how amazing she was, how I couldn't believe how perfect she was, how omg I'm riding my own horse in the desert!!!!!!!!!!! M was almost as thrilled as I was...maybe more, it's hard to say who was the most excited. She's certainly helped us a lot, and put in quite a few hours with us, helping Truby get to this point. Where she loaded up, went to a brand new location, and had a wonderful ride, encountering lots of new and potentially scary things...without fear or dangerous behavior. We had a fun, safe ride together. I haven't really let myself dream that we could have a day like that, because I didn't want to be disappointed. But...it looks like we can have days like this!



I have my trail horse,
and she is perfect <3




















No comments:

Post a Comment

 It took a long moment before I could even ask the question. I leaned against Truby and ran my hand along her neck, underneath her mane. &qu...